In response to calls for reform of the Muslim Personal Law and consequent to the Act from within the community itself , a former Minister of Justice and Law Reforms, Hon. Milinda Moragoda appointed a high powered and representative Committee to consider reforms to the Act. The Committee consisted of the following persons :-
1. Hon. Justice Saleem Marsoof, P.C., former Judge of the Supreme Court (Chairman)
2. Hon. Justice A.W.A. Salam, former Judge of the Court of Appeal
3. Hon. Suhada Gamalath, P.C. , Solicitor General, former Secretary to the Ministry of Justice
4. Mr. Shibly Aziz, P.C. , former Attorney General and former President of the Bar Association of Sri Lanka
5. Mr. Faisz Musthapha, P.C. former Deputy Director of Public Prosecutions.
6. Prof. Sharya Scharenguivel, Professor of Law, University of Colombo, former Executive Director of the Centre for Human Rights Studies.
7. Hon. Justice Mohammed Mackie, Judge of the Civil Appellate High Court and former Assistant Secretary to the Judicial Service Commission
8. Mr. S.M.A. Jabbar, Chairman of the Board of Quazis, who passed away on 25th February, 2012,. Mr. Nadvi Bahaudeen, Attorney at Law , who was appointed as the Chairman of the Board of Quazis , took his place in the Committee.
9. Dr. M.A.M. Shukri, Director, Jamiah Naleemiah,
10. Ash-Shiekh Mohammad Magdoom Ahamed Mubarak, former President and current Secretary of Jamiyyathul Ulama.
11. Ash-Shiekh Mohammad Ibrahim Mohummad Rizwe Mufti, President of Jamiyyathul Ulama
12. Deshabandu Mrs. Jezima Ismail, former member of the National Committee on Women and the Human Rights Commission of Sri Lanka
13. Mrs. Faleela Be Jurangpathy, Commissioner, Mediation Boards Commission, and former Principal of Muslim Ladies College, Colombo – 04
14. Mr. Razmara Abdeen, Attorney at Law
15. Mrs. Safana Gul Begum, Attorney at Law, former member of the Muslim Women’s Research and Action Forum (MWRAF)
16. Mrs. Fazlet Shahabdeen, Attorney at Law
17. Mrs. Sharmeela Rasool, Attorney at Law and National Project Coordinator, Access to Justice Project, UNDP
18. Mr. A.H.G. Ameen, Attorney at Law ( who passed away on 26th November, 2015),
19. Ms. Dilhara Amerasinghe, Additional Secretary to the Ministry of Justice and Law Reform (Secretary)
The Report consists of two sets of recommendations.
The first set of recommendations was subscribed to by :
1. Hon. Justice Saleem Marsoof (Chairman)
2. Ms. Dilhara Amerasinghe (Secretary)
3. Mr. Suhada Gamalath, PC
4. Deshabandu Mrs. Jezima Ismail
5. Prof. Sharya Scharenguvel
6. Mrs. Faleela Be Jurangpathy
7. Mr. Razmara Abdeen
8. Ms. Safana Gul Begum
9. Mrs. Sharmeela Rasool
The second set of recommendations was subscribed to by :
1. Mufti M.I.M. Rizwe
2. Ash-Sheikh M.M.A. Mubarak
3. Hon. Justice A.W.A. Salam
4. Hon. Justice Mohammed Mackie
5. Mr. Shibly Aziz, P.C.
6. Mr. Faisz Musthapha, P.C.
7. Dr. M.A.M. Shukri
8. Mr. Nadvi Bahudeen
9. Mrs. Fazlet Shahabdeen, Attorney at Law
The Ministry invites comments from members of the public on the Report.